1. Developing New 2D Worlds: Intro to AR Lenses
Now that you’re all warmed up, it’s time to dive into the Lens Studio software and the world of Augmented Reality Lenses.
By the end of this tutorial, you will be able to ...
- Explore Lens Studio software as you make your first Lens
- Become familiar with the Lens Creator Community
- Analyze the critical functions of a successful AR Lens
Estimated Time: 1 Hour
Step 1: Explore
Step 2: Analyze
👀 Choose two of your favorite Lenses as you explore the Creator Community.
✏️ Next, fill out the Compare & Contrast Features Worksheet on paper or on your computer.
- Write the name of one of your favorite Lenses on the left side.
- Write the name of another one of your favorite Lenses on the right side.
- Fill in the circle on the left with features that correspond only to Lens #1.
- Fill in the circle on the right with features that correspond only to Lens #2.
- Fill in the overlapping circles in the middle with features that correspond to both Lens #1 and Lens #2.
💭 Which features stand out the most to you?
💭 How does it feel to see yourself using those Lenses?
Step 3: Create
In this activity, you will create your first Lens using a template in Lens Studio.
1. 👻 Open the Lens Studio software on your computer.
2. 👻 Find and open the “2D Objects” template.
2D_Objects_Template by Next Shift Learning
4. 🎨 Develop your own Lens using the 2D Objects template.
5. 👻 Spend a few more minutes finishing up your Lens and trying it directly on your Snapchat app!
6. 💬 If you have any questions, try this resource below or submit your question on the Unit #1 Padlet.
7. Save your progress on your computer.
8. Save a screenshot of your Lens as a .PNG to upload to the Unit #1 Padlet.
If you’d like, you can also Preview the Lens and save a video copy.
Step 4: Share
Congratulations on creating your first AR Lens using Lens Studio!
1. 🤳 You can now upload your final work to the Unit #1 padlet.
2. ✏️ In the caption of your photo, write your answer to the following question:
- What was it like to make your first AR Lens?
- How would you make it better for next time?